01 January 2018

All the Crooked Saints / Maggie Stiefvater


3.5/5

All the Crooked Saints is set in the 1960s in Bicho Raro, Colorado and follows the Soria family, who have the ability to perform miracles. 

The moment I opened Crooked Saints I remembered why I am such a huge fan of Stiefvater. Her writing is so distinct. I haven't read one of her books in a while, and I'd forgotten how beautifully she wields language. She creates beautiful imagery and interesting metaphors in ways I never would have imagined on my own, and does so effortlessly. Her writing, for me, is the highlight of the novel.

The next aspect of Stiefvater's handiwork that I enjoyed are her characters. She creates multi-dimensional characters and well-developed relationships, and then she uses her beautiful and precise writing to captured it all in personal, honest portraits.

Reading All the Crooked Saints is a real treat, similar to watching a flower bloom slowly or letting sugar dissolve on your tongue. I loved the writing and execution, and watching all the story lines intertwine and discovering more about each character's past, present, and future. I recommend Crooked Saints for Stiefvater fans, fans of dreamy and introspective writing, and believers of anything magical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment