08 June 2018

Not If I See You First / Eric Lindstrom


3/5

Parker Grant is blind, not helpless, and she has rules to make sure things stay that way. She doesn't tolerate any mistreatment, and her inability to see people's faces and reactions makes it easy for her to cut anyone she doesn't like out of her life. But what if things aren't as black and white as they seem, and her harsh demeanor and strict rules become more harmful than helpful?

Not If I See You First allowed me to experience the perspective and life of someone I probably wouldn't otherwise. I learned about how Parker lives her life without sight, and how that has not only shaped her actions but her personality and her outlook. She's headstrong and carefree, traits that make for a fun lead, but as I read on I began to see how these traits were hurting her. It was wonderful to watch her discover that for herself. One thing I didn't like was how towards the end, the romance storyline really took over the plot. The ultimate focus of the novel, though, was on Parker's growth and her development with other characters (pay special attention to her sister, it is one of the most interesting relationships in the novel) and the romance doesn't cause Parker to lose sight of herself. 

Eric Lindstrom does a wonderful job in Parker's growth and development, and I would recommend Not If I See You First to fans of teen romance, realistic fiction, and coming-of-age novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment