20 January 2019

These Vicious Masks / Tarun Shanker, Kelly Zekas

Image result for these vicious masks
4.5/5

These Vicious Masks immediately drew me in with smooth writing that was easy to read and Evelyn's strong personality. At first, I was skeptical of Evelyn's originality, because there are many historical fiction YA novels that begin with a girl who is "different," who doesn't like balls or suitors. But These Vicious Masks didn't fall into the trap of stressing how Evelyn was a special snowflake. Rather, Evelyn remains focused on her goal of solving the conspiracy around her sister's disappearance. I also liked how in one scene she's called out for her disdain for societal rules and this disdain backfires on her. 

Evelyn's narration is witty and Shanker and Zekas always come up with interesting ways to express her emotions, rather than falling back on overused phrases. I also adored watching the relationship between Mr Braddock and Evelyn develop; it reminded me of Darcy and Elizabeth's relationship.

I tore through These Vicious Masks because the writing is always entertaining, the characters are mysterious, and action is consistent and fast. I would recommend it to fans of The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue, characters with powers, and Pride and Prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment