13 September 2020

The Bucket List / Georgia Clark

 The Bucket List: A Novel: Clark, Georgia: 9781501173028: Amazon.com: Books

2/5

I had high hopes for The Bucket List and I was definitely let down. I had expected a mature novel addressing the challenges of finding out you have a high risk of cancer at a young age. Instead, the only adult things in this novel were the sex scenes.

Our main character Lacey is a selfish liar who treats her only friends like trash. This is addressed in the novel but only at the end, when there are no scenes left to show growth or development. I had hoped this novel would be about self-discovery and about finally doing the things you've always wanted to do-- instead, this novel is about chasing men in a sad effort to feel validated and fulfilled. 

Seeing that Lacey has a high chance of breast cancer and must decide whether or not to have a mastectomy, I understand why Georgia Clark wrote Lacey's bucket list full of sex-related items and I was actually excited about that. Where I fundamentally disagree with Clark is Lacey's journey. I believe that Lacey should have grown as a person, her perspective on life should have shifted, and she should have learned to accept and love herself. Clark seemed to believe that Lacey just needed to chase after every man she laid eyes on until she found one that would tolerate and validate her after her planned mastectomy.

I did not see the development in Lacey's character that I had hoped for. In terms of emotional growth and themes, this book reads like a cheap YA paperback with a trashy sixteen-year-old lead. The only things keeping it from being labeled as such are the sex scenes, which although are hot, would have been much hotter if the emotions had been there. Two out of five because I finished it, but I would not recommend this to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment