21 January 2021

Beach Read / Emily Henry

4/5

The holidays always put me in the mood to read cute romances, but Beach Read is more than just cute. This contemporary romance has wit and depth and humor and grief. I adored the main character and the premise of two writers of opposing genres trying to write in the other's style. And, I'm a bit of a sucker for when two people both like each other but never say it until they meet again many years later...don't @ me

I may hate the main character's name (January?) but I loved her narration. Emily Henry does an excellent job of explaining the type of person January was, the type of person January is, and how she's ended up where she is. The novel begins with a strong focus on January's life and character and then gradually becomes more romance-focused. My one small issue with the novel was the closure January got with her father-- how convenient that he left her a load of letters. If I had it my way she would have had to simply face the grief, but at the end of the day, this is a romance book. 

I loved reading the slow undoing and rebuilding of January's life, all in her trademark humor. I would recommend this to readers who want a romance with depth and a well-developed lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment