21 October 2016

Nameless / Jennifer Jenkins


2.5/5

I didn't finish Nameless. I just couldn't get into it.

Nameless has a strong female lead, it has a high-stakes plot, it has a (kinda) interesting male lead...But I just couldn't get into. Everything felt flat and dull. The writing is simple and plain, like Jenkins is always just sitting on the surface, never diving deeper. I never felt anything intense or engaging. Its plot isn't extremely original, but that isn't the problem. I could easily have dealt with this plot, especially since I like this kind of plot: the dystopian, Divergent-like, there's-a-tyrant-we-must-overthrow or we-must-beat-the-system kind of plot. The problem is that the plot and writing are executed very, very superficially. Nothing is added or done differently to make it engaging, the way other books with this plot are. 

I was curious about what happens, which was why I kept reading even after I'd realized that I wasn't enjoying it that much. But after a while I realized that I was barely halfway, and that there was no way I was going to make it through that many more pages and dedicate that much more time to a novel that was flat and unengaging. I think this novel could be a good introduction to fantasy though. Like if you're thirteen years old or younger, haven't read the better series out there yet, and wanna get a feel for the genre, or if English isn't your first language, then try this? Just remember not to judge the entire genre based on this novel. 

Yeah, I won't be reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment