11 October 2016

Zeroes / Scott Westerfield


4/5

I really enjoyed Zeroes, mainly due to the characters and how interesting their powers were. The authors came up with some very creative powers, and also wrote their characters very well. I was interested in each of them (although maybe not Chizara, I found her rather annoying) and how each of their roles came together. I loved slowly learning more and more about everyone's back story and what exactly happened in their past, and I loved how these events were revealed subtly. The authors placed new information throughout the path of the plot, which kept me intent and focused. 

I did feel like the plot was a little lacking. It felt a little like the story was kept simple in order to fully introduce and focus on the characters, their relationships, their development, and their powers. Each of these aspects, though, were done well, and fully deserve the limelight.

All in all I really liked Zeroes and the ending left me satisfied, so I'm not sure if I'd read the next. Usually sequels end up tainting the first novel, and I'd hate for that to happen.

If you like interweaving plots and storylines (which I do) that tie together diverse, well-developed characters, set with a unobtrusive background of powers, then this book is definitely for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment