23 October 2019

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown / Holly Black

5/5

After reading Cruel Prince, I had major withdrawals and knew my best chance of filling the hole would be another Holly Black novel. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown did not disappoint. Every character was developed and unique; I loved how strong Tana is and how unorthodox of a male counterpart Gavriel is. I also loved the world Holly Black built. Her version of vampirism and how it infected the globe is different from any other vampire world I've read, and I found it very intriguing. The novel was dark and real (which may seem ironic given that it contains vampires), and Holly Black has no problem covering a wide variety of emotions which were expertly displayed in Tana and then felt by me.

When I reached the ending, the reveal made me see certain characters and scenes in a different light and I felt the need to turn back to the beginning and reread nearly the entire novel. It's almost similar to Yuri on Ice. The first time you watch Yuri, you see it through Yuri's perspective, but the second time you watch it, you see it through Viktor's perspective. This is similar; the first reading is Tana's perspective and the second is Gavriel's.

Overall, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown nails it in strong characterization and world building, and I definitely will be returning to it for a good read. I'd recommend it to both fantasy and science fiction lovers because Black has designed a world that blends the two. It's a gritty and interesting novel, and I highly recommend visiting it in Coldtown

No comments:

Post a Comment