22 October 2019

The Cruel Prince / Holly Black


5/5

The Folk of the Air trilogy by Holly Black is my obsession of the year. It's been months since I first read The Cruel Prince and I still can't stop thinking about it. This series has me searching up fan art, and that is rare for me. I absolutely cannot wait until the third and final book is released this November, and I highly recommend fans of The Winner's Curse, Grave Mercy, and Throne of Glass to read up on these novels just in time for the third.

There are so many things that make The Folk of the Air worthy of my time and obsession. First, Holly Black is a very experienced writer both in her prose and in her tying of various plot lines. She has created multiple well-rounded characters. The relationship (notice I didn't call it a romance) between Jude and Cardan is unlike any other main relationship I've seen in a YA novel, but the originality of all of the relationships that Jude has cannot be overlooked. I especially love the dynamic between her and her father, Madoc. Holly Black has captured so many complexities and contradictions in the relationships of her characters.

Holly Black also does an amazing job with Jude's voice. The way she phrases thoughts is so particular. I adored the slightly unreliable narration, and the way Holly Black never has to explicitly state something in order to convey her meaning. 

I could go on forever. Do yourself a favor and check out The Cruel Prince. Like the title suggests, it's a cruel and brutal book, and I love it for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment