09 May 2020

The Kingdom of Back / Marie Lu


1/5

I wanted to like it, but ultimately there just wasn't enough interesting material to keep me reading.

Marie Lu did a wonderful job in writing Nannerl's voice, her desire to be great, and her love for her brother. She also created a magical atmosphere-- I could almost feel this other kingdom existing between the cracks of our world. The problem was that there wasn't enough plot. Nothing happened! The novel was slow and our protagonist was much more reactive than proactive. I couldn't tell if the Kingdom of Back was all imagination, if it was a real parallel world, or if Marie Lu was intentionally trying to keep us guessing. 

Ultimately, there was nothing to keep me interested in Nannerl's story. I skipped to the last chapter, skimmed it, and it was just as boring as the first ~1/3 that I'd read, so I concluded that I had missed out on nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment