09 May 2020

Ink in the Blood / Kim Smejkal


4/5

Ink in the Blood is wonderfully written with a cast of complex characters. I loved Kim Smejkal's descriptions of all of these odd people, and the vulnerability of our lead Celia. I also adored the relationship between Anya and Celia.

The diversity and detail of the characters along with the exciting circus setting are two strong points of this novel. It's reminiscent of The Night Circus, but more grounded in terms of mood. Smejkal's exploration of Kitty, Anya, and Celia were all amazing, and I wish we had more time with them to go even further in depth. I felt that her writing of the Plague Doctor though was a little overdone. 

Overall, Smejkal, Celia, and Anya put on an excellent show, and I would recommend Ink in the Blood to The Night Circus fans and to those looking for representation in gender identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment