15 December 2020

How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories / Holly Black

I find I can't rate this, because it isn't a novel of its own and also because I may be a little biased. How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories is a companion novel to The Folk of the Air trilogy, one of my favorites of all time. I cannot express how much I love Jude, and Cardan, and Jude and Cardan together. I know I am not alone in this opinion.

I tried not to have too high hopes for the companion novel, but when it's pitched to have Jurdan scenes from Cardan's point of view, how could those hopes not creep up? And that was my main issue with How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories-- there were hardly any interactions between Cardan and Jude. I love Cardan, and I loved learning a bit more backstory on him, but I felt like this companion novel didn't offer anything new or exciting. It felt like Holly Black could've whipped this up in two days. 

Really, I'm not going to complain because I will devour any Jude and/or Cardan content there is, so 🤷.

No comments:

Post a Comment