23 December 2020

White Stag / Kara Barbieri

 


3/5

An average to above average read. Janneke, our lead, is an interesting and well-developed character; her journey and growth are the strongest points of the novel. Janneke must decide what and who she is and want she wants in her future. Her internal conflict and the flow of her perspective felt natural. I appreciated her strength, especially in the face of past trauma. 

I believe White Stag started as a Wattpad fanfic so I had adjusted my standards accordingly and I'd suggest readers do the same before reading. I liked Janneke but no other character is nearly as developed. The dialogue can be hard to pin down because at times it is extremely modern which contrasts sharply with the world it's set in. I also found it hard to understand why and how, if goblins are so horrible and cruel, Soren is our one special angel with feelings? And the biggest downside was the ending; it was a major stretch and felt cheap. 

Overall, White Stag is a quick read with an easy romance to root for, and it can act as a filler for the The-Folk-of-the-Air-shaped hole you may have in your heart. Be sure to adjust your expectations in terms of development and complexity, read all of the trigger warnings beforehand, and you'll be set to give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment