24 March 2018

Jane, Unlimited / Kristin Cashore


2.5/5

In Jane, Unlimited, Kristin Cashore writes five possible courses of events that all vary depending on a decision Jane makes in an instant. The novel is set in a fantastical world written in a sleepy sort of magical narration.

The reviews for Jane, Unlimited had me pumped up for an experience of a novel unlike any other, and while Jane is different from most other novels I've read in terms of style, I did not enjoy it. I like Cashore's idea of having completely different events happen to Jane depending on what decision she makes. I love how it shows that perhaps it is only possible to know a certain amount of information, because a certain choice can only lead you down a certain path. It also reinforces the possibility of multiple universes, which is discussed in the novel. But in splitting the novel into five different stories, eventually I lost interest. My loss of interest was also due to how the level of ridiculousness and extreme magic increased; the novel started off bordering on the bizarre, which is part of its charm, but the last two stories in particular were far too much for me to buy. If you read it, you'll understand what I mean. If not, let me try to explain without spoiling by saying that the new worlds Cashore introduces in these storylines are not hinted at enough earlier in the book to avoid feeling like ridiculous, childish stretches. I was relieved to finish the novel because reading the last two stories felt like a waste of time-- I stuck through it I expected Cashore to wrap up all of the storylines in some way at the end. The wrap-up didn't happen, but I think that suits the novel's theme of multiple possibilities and stories with no ending.

Jane, Unlimited offers a different style of storytelling than is usually seen in YA literature. Cashore also creates some excellently developed characters, and the relationships between them are also of the kind not usually seen. Jane's relationship with Kiran isn't the typical best friends 'til death type. Her feelings toward Ivy are well-captured and a consistent highlight throughout the entire novel. Her descriptions and changing opinions of Aunt Magnolia are different in every story, a testimony to Cashore's writing, and I enjoyed meeting Ravi. 

But overall, Jane, Unlimited is long and dragged out, and the stories do not feel worth the time at all. If you're curious to experience this type of storytelling, then I'd recommend picking it up, but first quickly flipping through the entire book to see if it's something you truly want to invest your time in. Don't worry, this type of book won't be spoiled by flipping to the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment