03 March 2018

There's Someone Inside Your House / Stephanie Perkins


2.5/5

There's Someone Inside Your House is a suspenseful murder mystery novel. I usually don't read novels in the horror vein, so I was excited to try something different and had heard good things. There's Someone Inside Your House is set in middle-of-nowhere Osborne, Nebraska and follows Hawaii-native Makani Young when a serial killer starts targeting students at her high school. 

True to its promises, the novel delivers on suspense and intensity, but it failed to truly draw me in. Makani's third person narrative is interrupted with snapshots that allow the reader to experience the death of the victims, which I found exciting. The opening scene of the novel is surely one of its highlights. There was plenty of gore, which I appreciated, but its effect was lessened because I never felt attached to any of the characters. I eagerly anticipated their deaths; they excited me rather than frightened me, even though I think Perkins was trying to evoke feelings of fear and loss. 

One secret that kept me invested in the novel was Makani's past, but I felt like learning her history was a bit of a letdown. There were very strong hints toward some dark past, when in reality the events that occurred did not nearly deserve the amount of build up it got. I was also disappointed that Perkins did not explore or explain Makani's relationship with her parents. But I liked Makani's spirit, her vulnerability and strength, and I didn't tire of hearing her story.

Overall, There's Someone Inside Your House is entertaining and I enjoyed reading such a suspenseful novel. It is definitely a good beginner's introduction to the genre. But while fun, it didn't have the depth or originality that would have made it truly stand out for me. I recommend it to those who are looking for a quick read that has bloodier stakes and a gorier level of intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment