03 March 2018

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies / Lindsay Ribar


3/5

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies tells the story of a family that has the ability to take things from other people, such as physical traits like freckles or personality quirks like one's love for ice cream. The novel follows Aspen Quick as he learns more about his ability and what role he wants it to play in his life. 

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies is a suspenseful mystery, but has similar vibes to Patrick Ness's The Rest of Us Just Live Here, with a conflicted male lead and his growth being a focus of the novel. Aspen is a pretty horrible person who does many unethical things, but Lindsay Ribar captures what motivates him and I was able to understand him. I enjoyed following his internal conflict, his intellect, and his actions, however immoral. 

I didn't realize how supernatural this novel was going to be so I was a little surprised at where the plot was going as the novel progressed, but Ribar's idea is very creative and interesting so I went with the flow. I appreciated how well Ribar explains the workings of the Quick family's ability and how it affects each of their relationships. I would recommend Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies as a quick read for those who like mystery, supernatural abilities, or internal conflict in the veins of morality and identity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment