25 April 2020

The Night Spinner / Addie Thorley


4/5

The Night Spinner is about Enebish the Destroyer, a general with the power to control darkness who was shamed when she lost control and killed innocents. Enebish is trying to get back into the good graces of her older sister and the emperor, so that she might regain some semblance of the power and freedom that she once had. Her chance to prove herself is to help her sister, the top general, crush a rising rebellion. 

What made me give The Night Spinner a strong rating was the amount of betrayal that Enebish faced. Just one after the other! I loved it. It kept me guessing. The constant deception taught Enebish to trust herself, adding in elements that make this novel a coming-of-age story as well. I liked that it picked up where most YA novels usually end-- most are about protagonists discovering his/her power and rising in the ranks, but this is about Enebish's story after she's fallen from grace. 

Addie Thorley wrote Enebish's voice full of vulnerability, longing, and determination. I could feel how badly she belonged with the night and I rooted for her the whole way. I would recommend this novel for readers looking for a less politically-heavy Grave Mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment