17 February 2021

The Bird and The Blade / Megan Bannen

 

4.5/5

This novel is a retelling of the opera Turandot and I highly recommend not knowing anything about the opera before reading The Bird and The Blade

One particular trait that makes The Bird and The Blade unique is the way the story is structured. Like the acts of an opera, the novel is divided into three sections, each section covering a different timeline in Jinghua's journey and slowly revealing how everyone ended up in the current situation. It's also a slow unveiling of how Jinghua's relationships and self-perception change. 

I can see how the pacing may feel drawn out to one expecting something action-packed, but I never found the novel boring and would rather describe the pace as soothing. There were moments when I didn't understand why we needed to discuss so much poetry and history, and even if at times I craved more action, I got more than I bargained for in the last third of the book. This is when plot twists are revealed and no punches are pulled. I especially love when a certain reveal changes my perspective on the whole novel, forcing me to go back and reread everything in a new light, and that's exactly what happens in The Bird and The Blade. 

What truly made The Bird and The Blade stand out for me is that its ending is something one rarely ever sees in a YA novel. It is bittersweet and touching, and it leaves no room for a sequel to taint the greatness of the first. I would recommend The Bird and The Blade to readers looking for no-nonsense narration, Asian representation, an unobtrusive romance, and a devastating ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment