21 April 2020

2020 Beginnings


3/5

An enemies-to-lovers story. I finished it a little confused, because I had expected more in terms of plot and also in terms of developing the love interests' relationship. I would have preferred more scenes furthering their relationship because they fell in love a little too easily, and more scenes focusing on the actual plot. But overall, both the characters and world were well-written and interesting. Also, I believe this novel falls under "New Adult" rather than "Young Adult," in case that influences your decision to read it.



3/5

An original world, but not original enough, especially toward the end. But still enjoyable throughout. 



1/5

I couldn't finish this. By the length and simplicity of the sentences, you'd think Dealing in Dreams was written for a first-grader. I read some reviews which encouraged readers to stick through the boring beginning because the action would eventually pick up, but I just couldn't make it through.



1.5/5

I picked up this modernized version of Beauty and the Beast because I was in the mood for a quick and light feel-good story. Turns out, all of the characters were trite (I know it's a retelling but that doesn't make freshness impossible) and the way each of Jaya's, the protagonist, relationships ended was predictable and handled so poorly that the endings felt absurdly unrealistic. If this had been released ~15 years ago, I think the old-fashioned, mild feminism and cliches might be more understandable, but this was released this year! Somehow the book managed to make me feel almost foolish for expecting better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment