22 April 2020

House of Earth and Blood / Sarah J Maas


4.5/5

Sarah J. Maas's first in a new series, House of Earth and Blood, is full of plot twists and interesting characters. It starts off with some overwhelming info-dump, but if you stick through that rough beginning, the story is well worth your time. I'll tell you the downsides upfront: the characters can be a little cliche (a seemingly slutty party girl, a tortured angel, a pretty Fae prince) but at the same time the book was also packed full of intriguing side characters (particularly Jesiba) whose personalities and side plots I all wanted to explore.

The novel is of typical Maas length, which is to say it's quite long, but the length is justified considering the impact and intensity of events covered. Though I felt frustrated with Bryce's character at times, I enjoyed watching the slow unveiling of her character throughout the entire novel. I also appreciated the continual twists that always had me guessing at each character's true intentions and personality. The best part of the novel was the climax-- I can't name the last book that had an ultimate battle that long and intense, and I loved it. My eyes may have even watered a little. 

If you're a fan of Maas's other novels, I would highly recommend picking this up. It's amazing for me to see that she's shed the shame that was ACOTAR and is returning a bit towards the tougher Throne of Glass atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment