08 September 2016

Daughter of Smoke and Bone / Laini Taylor


4/5

I haven't read for a month (yes, I am ashamed), so I needed a good book to get me back into reading. I'd heard Daughter of Smoke and Bone was good, and even though the length intimidated my rusty reading skills a bit, I more than made it through the ride.

Taylor has developed a very thorough world. It's well thought-out and very intriguing. I love it, and I love how she slowly revealed everything to us. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is intense and thrilling, and absolutely drew me in.

The reason this is four stars rather than five is because I felt like this story was a lot of BACKstory. It's here to set up for the next book. There was some jumping around through time, and towards the end of the book we spent so much time in the past I started wondering why Taylor didn't just start the series there instead of having a flashback. But I like jumping around, and it was in the reveal that made this book so thrilling. I'll admit, there were definitely reveals/twists that had me shouting internally, and so my rating is high. 

One other minor flaw is that I felt the novel focused on the romantic aspect a little too much. It started off super mysterious and dangerous, and then began to focus more on love. But I think that's because the backstory is mainly based on love, and the reason the characters ended up where they are is because of love, and since this book focuses mainly on how they ended up here it makes sense for this book to have a little more emphasis on the character's relationship. I think in the sequel(s), there'll be less emphasis on this romantic aspect, and so I don't have a problem with it. 

All in all, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was enjoyable and I'd recommend you give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment