08 September 2016

Dumplin' / Julie Murphy


2.5/5

I expected more from Dumplin'. I thought it would be something NEW. The summary was at least pretty original, but the book was very typical teen realistic fiction. There weren't any epiphanies or realizations or anything new. 

The main girl was frustrating with the way she treated herself, the boys, and her friends. I expected this book to teach young girls about self-love and pride, to have some positive message, but instead the book was weak.   

Dumplin' was an alright read for me (I was skimming by the end) and if you like the typical YA realistic fiction, you should give it a try. It does address topics that aren't as common (like being fat, I guess??) but really doesn't stray from the mainstream. If you want a social commentary, Libba Bray does it much better in Beauty Queens.

No comments:

Post a Comment