08 September 2016

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake / Amy E Reichert


2.5/5

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake is a love story and nothing more.

I had thought it would be more focused on Lou working hard for her restaurant, but it wasn't. I also thought the whole love at first sight, "she's the most beautiful creature in the whole universe and absolutely leaves me breathless" thing going on from Al's point of view was very cliche, dull, and unrealistic. I usually read more sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian kind of thing, novels with more action and intensity, so when I look at this book from that point of view it was rather boring. But when I judge it for what it is (a chicklit love story) it's pretty good. It had romantic moments, although the novel did call to mind the manic pixie dream girl trope. 

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake had good characters and character development. They were understandable and relatable and made me care. There was also a very jaw-dropping reveal toward the end which I really loved, because it spiced things up. For all of these reasons I couldn't put the book down and finished it in one sitting. It's definitely lacking the action aspect that I need in a book, but it did what it did well. It was a cute love story, so I would recommend it to those who like that kind of thing. I don't particularly, but I still enjoyed the novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment