08 September 2016

Dreamstrider / Lindsay Smith


2/5

I made it through about three-fourths of the book before skipping to the end, which I think is pretty impressive. The concept of the novel is original and interesting. It felt promising and had potential, but unfortunately the novel did not live up to it.

First thing I didn't like: the main character is incredible incompetent. I was willing to forgive that because her incompetence seemed to be part of the plot, but she never improved throughout the novel and that made me kind of want to stab someone.

Second thing: the book moved too slowly. So slowly.

Third: the writing got worse as the book progressed. The scene where Livia and Brandt met the Emperor was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever read. The Emperor's dialogue was straight out of a children's novel. I actually stared at the pages in disbelief.

I'm one for strong female leads. I like YA novels, which pretty much means I like romance plots, but I do NOT like cheesy, unrealistic, white-knight plots. I want something real that I can believe and that I can get behind. Livia's relationship with Brandt was pitiful, and the whole infatuation thing (I don't even know what to call it) with Marez was frankly a little weird and rather unbelievable. To sum it up, the book wasn't very good...but I guess at least the cover's really pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment